Office number: 709 (7th floor new Physics building)
Telephone number: +34 93 402 11 26
Task: CU3 (IDT Technical Manager)
Dr. Jordi Portell studied Electronics Engineering in the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, where he designed the downlink system of a Spanish minisatellite. He has been involved in Gaia since mid 2000, when he started his PhD on the on-board data handling, telemetry and data compression systems. His focus has always been on the payload data handling and compression.
In 2007 he was the Scientific Manager of the Gaia Optimum Compression Algorithm TRP study (GOCA), which provided the baseline of the data compression system that is being used onboard Gaia. Before that, in 2005 he moved from the space segment to the ground segment, performing and reporting the last tests with the Gaia Data Access and Analysis Study (GDAAS). Afterwards, around 2006 he started to work on the Initial Data Treatment system (IDT), where he has the role of Technical Manager since 2011.
He has also worked for the Intermediate Data Updating (IDU), and he has also been manager of the Data Processing Centre of Barcelona (DPCB). Jordi has advised two PhD theses related to Gaia (one on data compression and another on high-performance Java data processing), as well as 13 master theses (most of them related to data compression). He is one of the inventors of the FAPEC patent (Fully Adaptive Prediction Error Coder), a high-performance lossless data compressor for space and ground applications. Since 2013 he is Chief Technology Officer at DAPCOM Data Services S.L., the spin-off company that commercializes the compressor.
When he finds some time, he is also the coordinator of the SETI project in Catalonia. Beyond that, he likes composing and DJ-mixing music, photography, astronomy, biking and sightseeing.
Most relevant publications:
- PhD thesis: Payload data handling, telemetry and data compression systems for Gaia
- Portell, J., Villafranca, A.G., García-Berro, E.: Outlier-resilient entropy coding, in Recent advances in satellite data compression, Springer, 2011, ed.: B. Huang
- Portell, J., Villafranca, A.G., García-Berro, E.: Quick outlier-resilient entropy coder for space missions. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing (2010) 4, 041784, SPIE.
- Portell, J., García-Berro, E., Luri, X., Villafranca, A.G.: Tailored data compression using stream partitioning and prediction: application to Gaia, Experimental Astronomy (2006) 21, pp. 125-149.
- Portell, J., Luri, X., García-Berro, E.: High-performance Payload Data Handling System for Gaia, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 2, April 2006, pp. 421-435.
- García-Berro, E., Portell, J., Castañeda, J., Gordo, J.P.: Assessing the clock of Gaia: Design and implementation of a clock framework simulator, Experimental Astronomy (2004) 18, pp. 133-158.
- Portell, J., García-Berro, E., Luri, X.: Optimization of time data codification and transmission schemes: application to Gaia, Experimental Astronomy (2003) 16, pp. 189-212, ISSN 0922-6435.
- PCT/ES2009/000036 patent: Method for fully adaptive calibration of a prediction error coder.